Importance of Proper Positioning
copyright 1998 by ABCD Webmasters
One of the factors that sets spanking apart from other forms of swatting is the deliberate and sometimes ceremonial positioning of the participants. While some spankings are haphazard, I prefer spankings that include the ritual of positioning.
Both the spankee and spanker adopt positions that facilitate and enhance the spanking. These positions generally work to the advantage of the spanker and the disadvantage of the spankee.
The spanker enjoys the following advantages from his position:
- Comfort. Whether standing or sitting, the spanker is positioned to be comfortable throughout the spanking. He is able to swing his arm at a natural angle and able to sustain a lengthy spanking with ease because of his position.
- Strength. Because he is able to wind up and freely swing his arm at a natural angle, the spanker is able to apply swats to the intended target with force. While standing, the spanker cannot only swing his arm but rotate his body to deliver maximum energy to an anxiously awaiting, clenching derriere.
- Full access to the bottom to be spanked. The spankee's position is designed to fully expose her bottom and the spanker's relative position is designed to put that bottom at a convenient angle and height. Therefore, the spanker is able completely view, tweak, pat, and spank it.
- Safety. Because the spanker is in the position to easily spank the rear-end at the correct angle, it is much less likely that a blow will fall too high or too low.
- Control. The spanker's position gives him the "upper hand" and allows him to easily control the spankee. He sits or stands higher than the spankee and is easily able to restrain and situate her.
The spankee realizes the following effects from her position:
- Relative comfort. Except for the notable exception of her backside, it's important that the spankee be relatively comfortable so she can focus on the sensations being inflicted upon her posterior.
- Anticipation. Bending over and getting into position to get her bottom blistered signals the beginning of the spanking and builds anticipation.
- Increased sensation. A properly positioned bottom will tend to be spanked harder and more completely on the sensitive "sit spot".
- Humiliation. Being put over the knee is a childish, humiliating posture. Having to "assume the position" is humiliating in its submission and rubs in the fact that she is being spanked.
- Exposure. A properly positioned bottom is fully exposed. The cheeks are fully presented and split, the undersides turned up, her rectum and vulva fully visible.
- Emphasis on her bottom. Spanking positions place the center of attention on the bottom of the person being spanked, a fact not lost on said person. The bottom is emphasized by its exposure and upturned position relative to the spanker.
- Presentation of her bottom. Not only is the bottom exposed and emphasized but the spankee feels she is willingly "sticking it out" and presenting it for its punishment in the same way as the condemned man who must place his head on the chopping block. The spankee knows her bottom cannot evade or escape the swats.
- Submission. Cooperatively getting into position to be spanked is the primary act of submission in spanking.
- Safety. Although it may be of little solace, the spankee can take comfort in the fact that her position affords safety from injury. Of course, this can be disconcerting if she know she will be spanked with even more abandon.
- Loss of control. Once positioned, the spankee has relinquished control and may not easily regain it until the spanking is done. She should have difficulty removing her rear from the line of fire if she tries.
- Inability to clench. When standing, one can clench her cheeks together, mitigating the sting of a swat and the exposure. When properly positioned, it is more difficult to clench cheeks and the spanking will be applied to a relaxed, bouncing bottom.
- Excellent visual presentation. Speaking from the point of view of an admitted bottom fancier, there are few times that someone looks more adorable and beautiful than when she is positioned to be spanked. Not only is the bottom emphasized, but it is formed to a flattering shape and sexily perked out. Spanking positions would be sexy even to people not into spanking.
Following are descriptions of various positions that I find erotic, their distinguishing characteristics, tactics that can be used to enhance them, and precautions to take. All descriptions assume a right-handed spanker.
- Over the lap. Spanker is sitting with good posture in an armless chair, knees together. Person being spanked must lay face- down across the spanker's lap, her head to the left and feet to the right. She must be over the lap far enough so her bottom is conveniently located directly over the spanker's right thigh.
In order to preserve modesty, the young lady being spanked may be tempted to lie flat with her head up and legs straight out behind; however, if she is concerned for her modesty, she shouldn't have gotten herself spanked in the first place. Another favorite trick of the recalcitrant young lady is to "scootch" the bottom down, nearly off the spanker's knee completely, until the spanker is aiming at something he cannot see, in the general area of his ankle. A palm pressed against the back of the head and firm swats to the thighs are helpful in positioning (or repositioning) the reluctant spankee.
This young lady is poorly positioned. The angle of her bottom is all wrong, requiring him to spank at an unnatural angle. He cannot even see what he is spanking.
The spankee's head and shoulders should be angled down and her knees tucked down out of the way so that her bottom is well turned up. Knees should be at least six inches apart and the lower back should be "arched" or dipped to further turn up her rear. This will result in her vulva being fully exposed and presented. Depending on size, toes will either be resting against the floor or hoisted off a few inches. The full weight of the spankee should be resting on the lap.
Hands can either be on the floor or grasping the legs of the chair. If the right hand flies back during spanking, it should be pinned to the lower back by the spanker's left hand.
Prior to starting to spank, the spanker should firmly grasp the spankee's waist above the right hip with the left hand to prevent squirming off the lap. Then the left elbow should be planted between the shoulder blades to keep the head and shoulders from bobbing up.
Another well-restrained well-positioned bottom. He has removed her hand from line of fire very effectively.
The spanker should raise his right knee slightly, turning up the bottom further. By turning his upper body to the right, the spanker can get a fuller swing and more comfortably apply a stronger swat.
By combining all of these tactics - the raised knee, the elbow in the back, the hand in the small of the back - the spanker can effectively pin the spankee down and spank the daylights out of her.
- Over the knee. Similar to over-the-lap except the spankee is bent over the left knee with her legs restrained by the spanker's right leg.
The well-positioned spankee in the Over The Knee position. Note how effectively this young lady is restrained, both by his leg and the lock he has on her arm.
- Hands on ankles. This is the classic school-style paddling position. The student must stand well clear of obstacles with feet shoulder width apart. Leaving knees straight and back straight, the student must bend over and grasp her ankles with both hands. The spanker may want to observe the student's hands throughout the paddling to ensure they do not leave the ankles and earn extra swats.
The spanker stands facing the left side of the student. He should stand far enough away so the paddle barely overlaps past the right cheek. They should adjust fore and aft to ensure that both cheeks are struck at the same time (assuming a paddle is being used. Canes and straps warrant slightly forward positioning).
It is not possible to more fully expose and present a rear end than when in this position. When one is told to bend over and grab her ankles, one is, in effect, being told, "we intend to thoroughly paddle your bottom. So not only will you present your rear-end but you will stretch and endeavor to stick it up and out as far as you can absolutely positively can. And throughout the paddling, you will continue to strain to stick it out for the paddle."
Since the angle between the legs and the upper body is well under 90 degrees, this position spreads the cheeks and exposes the rectum and vulva more than any other position.
This is a great fantasy position but I think it only works safely in reality for spankees with flexible bodies (especially when a thick paddle is used). Inflexible people can't reach their ankles without bending their knees. Non-fleshy butts get pulled tightly across the pelvic bones and don't provide enough padding when a heavy paddle is used.
- Hands on knees. A safer, more workable position than hands-on- ankles. The bottom is presented in a plumper, more paddle-friendly shape but visually, the position is still very school-like. Depending on the person, I think this position can be more visually appealing because the back can be arched a bit which perks up the bottom. In fact, the further up the legs the hands are placed, the more the spankee can arch her back and stick out her rump.
Again, feet should be shoulder width apart and hand position enforced. Exposure of the vulva can be increased simply by requiring her to spread her legs slightly farther apart. Because the back can be arched and bottom upturned, it should be required, both prior and during the paddling. A technique which tends to arch the back correctly is to require the student to look forward at a spot high on the wall. That way, she is required to pull her head up and arch her back.
Although this naughty schoolgirl does not have her hands exactly on her knees, this shows very well the benefits afforded by this position.
- Over the desk on tiptoes. Another school-like position. The student must bend over a desk with nose or chest pressed to the desk. Hands and arms should be placed on the desk over her head to further arch the back. To further elevate her bottom to be spanked, she must raise up on to her toes. Penalty swats can be awarded for every incidence of a heal touching the floor (hint: watch after the "last" swat before the student is told she may relax).
- Over a barstool or horse. This is probably the best position for paddling because the bottom is presented in a plump and relaxed manner. The person to be punished must lay her full weight across the stool, her feet hanging and hands grasping the legs of the stool at a level such that there is a little support for her upper body. This is a relaxed, comfortable position which works well for lengthy spankings.
A young lady on the traditional Victorian punishment horse.
- Lying on bed. Another comfortable position for lengthy spankings and ensuing diversions. The spankee must lay face-down on a bed. her face should be pressed to the mattress while her hips and bottom are elevated on pillows. Since pillows are compressible, it may take three or four to achieve the proper elevation.
- Lying on back. Although not one of the classic spanking positions, this offers a great deal of control by the spanker, who can firmly grasp her ankles and hold them over her head. The degree of exposure of the vulva and anus is very high in this position, making it a favorite when both punishment and humiliation are joint goals. Requiring her to hold her own calves fully back is another technique to enhance this position.
This position offers the spanker excellent control, a tempting target, and a nice view.
- Kneeling in chair. One of my favorite positions for spankees with great butts because, properly executed, it presents the rear in its most flattering light. The trick is in the execution. The spankee must kneel in the seat of a padded chair (save those knees) facing the back with the thighs vertical and upper body forward over the back. Again, the spankee should be required to arch the back well.
Two things conspire to shape her bottom cutely. First, the back of the chair prevents her from bending so far as to preclude a good back arch. Second, just as high heels shape calves fully by angling the foot to shorten and bulge the calf muscle, kneeling with the calves at right angles to the thighs seems to allow the buttocks to bulge fully.
I've found the following tactics can be used to enhance and focus on positioning:
- Adjustment & readjustment. I think it's important to deliberately position and adjust the spankee prior to the first swat. Emphasis should be placed on positioning and presenting the bottom fully. Throughout the spanking, the spankee should be readjusted as her position begins to fail.
- Verbal instruction. I think it's best to require the spankee to willfully maintain her own position with out the physical assistance of the spanker especially in the case of stand-up paddlings. Therefore, verbal communication is necessary throughout the spanking to encourage the spankee to continue to assume the correct position.
- Pickiness. One of the disciplinary aspects of spanking is that no matter how perfect the spankee is positioned, she can always improve, stick her bottom out a little farther, spread her thighs a little wider, etc. The spanker should not feel guilty that his exacting demands regarding position are perhaps a little too picky and unrealistic.
We hope you enjoyed this article. If you came here from a link on our site, you KNOW where you are. If you came to this article directly from a search engine or elsewhere, you're visiting Bethany's Woodshed, the web's premiere spanking site for those who like to read and think about adult/erotic spanking.